I feel like this has been discussed before, but sadly, CH's search engine is not the best...
Anyway, my wife and I are visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake for 4 days in July and would like to do some wine tasting. I have passing familiarity with upstate NY/Finger Lakes wines so I have some idea of what to expect, I think, but I know nothing about Ontario wines themselves. I see Inniskillin is in that area, and that will be a definite visit.
Otherwise, I have these questions:
1. What places would you recommend? We would prefer to focus on places that are primarily making high-quality wines with red and white "international" varietals as well as icewine. For instance, a selection like they have here: http://www.stonechurch.com/wines.html, rather than, say, "wines" made from fruit or that taste sweet (unless they are late-harvest or icewines).
2. Is it worth leaving Niagara-on-the-Lake area and travelling to other parts of the Ontario wine region? I printed out the guide from the winesofontario.com website and the map, but I just don't have a sense of the scale of the area -- or of where the "best" Ontario wines are located.
3. Does any place require a reservation or anything like that? Are there places that are not heavily promoted that are worth visiting?
4. Am I correct that the limit to bring back into the U.S. without paying duties is 6 bottles?
5. Any restaurant recommendations in Niagara-on-the-Lake would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the help.