When unique Chinese dishes are being discussed on this board, O'Mei's one-of-a-kind 'Giant Lobster 5 ways' almost always got mentioned.Though popular and well known amongst regular Chinese patrons, this off-menu item has yet to be discovered by most western populous. Due to the intimidating size of the beast, it also require a group of people to devour the monster!
Tonight, a group of 24 die-hard foodies, braved the frigid weather and lousy traffic, descended on O'Mei for a pre-arranged 'Giant Lobster 5 ways' chowmeet. Between the two round tables, we shared a total of 36 pounds of the pre-historic monsters!
The meal consisted of:
- Steamed lobster claws with fried minced garlic, ginger & scallions on a bed of rice vermicelli
- Stirred fry lobster tails with premium top soy-Maggi sauce and shredded onions.
- Deep fried head and body with spiced chili garlic peppered salt.
- Steamed egg custard ( Chawamushi ) with tomale ( lobster brains )
- Fried rice with egg white, string beans, minced dried scallops and tomale.
- Braised E-Fu noodles with Chinese mushrooms, Tomale and lobster broth.
- House special Crispy skin free-run Chicken with special dipping sauce
- Authentic Cantonese sweet and sour pork.
- Stirred fry Chinese Broccoli ( Gai Lan ) with mince dried Tile fish and garlic
- An array of complimentary Chinese dessert that included: Chinese egg-white doughnut puff with red-bean filling, Fresh Mango Mochi, Red bean and black glutinous rice soup, mini Chinese sesame paste filled mochi ( Tong-Yuen ).
Due to the shear quantity of lobster involved, the kitchen actually came out with a rare 'Lobster 6 ways'!!
All dishes were competently executed with the majority of attendees pointing to the 'Maggi Stirred lobster tail dish' as their favorite! The deep fried version came a close second.
Overall, I think everyone was stuffed and had a great time!
Value and 'quantity of lobster' wise, I believe our meal beat the current Scaramouche's $62 Lobsterlicious 3 course dinner, hands down!!
Updated 1 year ago | 13
Updated 1 year ago | 42
Updated 2 months ago | 9
Updated 6 months ago | 0
Updated 4 months ago | 21