Just got back from Honolulu this week. Stayed there for 8 days. Ate a lot of food. Here is a brief review of the places we ventured to.
1. Huli Huli Chicken in Ward Warehouse parking lot. I thought it was pretty good. My SO commented that it was not on a long rotating spit but just bbq'd on a grill.
2. Aiea Bowl- The tasty chicken plate was really good. Loco Moco had its moment but I would return for the tasty chicken. This place was really crowded.
3. Liliha Bakery- Coco puffs and malasadas. They had green tea and regular coco puffs. Malasadas were haupia and lilikoi filled.
4. Diamond Head Bakery for breakfast- Had the pork hash and egg, tried the fried rice. Not too impressed with the pork hash patty- too much potato.
5. Kenele's in Waimanalo- Huge mixed plate of kahlua pig, lau lau and bbq chicken. Lau Lau was good. If you are in the neighborhood, stop by.
6. Costco shoyu poke- the fish is very fresh.
7. Char Hung Sut- Manapua, Mai Tai Soo and Pork Hash. How long has this place been around. Everything was fresh and delicious.
8. Nico's- Furikake ahi and roast pork plate. Ahi was delicious. Pork plate was huge.
9. Pineapple Room for dinner- Service was mediocre. I think lunch is the better option here. They were out of the pork chop and shortrib which left big holes in the remaining menu items. Plantation ice tea is still the best here though.
10. Ruger Market- Pipikaula and Port Sausage/Egg Musubi. They ran out of the pipikaula musubi.
11. Leonards- Guava, Haupia and Chocolate malasadas- this is my favorite place for malasadas.
12. Kapahulu Poi Shop- Plate lunch- Poi, Kahlua Pig, Chicken Long Rice.-this was pretty authentic
13. Ono Seafood- Ahi Poke with everything- This was crazy good. I like the spiciness and all the other ingredients that went into this. Made to order.
14. Rainbow Drive In- Boneless Chicken plate with gravy. I thought they used to cut up the chicken tonkatsu style. This one came in one huge piece. Very good still but hard to cut up when you sitting at the beach.
15. Kua Aina Burger- Cheeseburger was good. Really skinny fries were crispy.. Last time fries were limpy. Huge improvement.
16. Shiro- Saimen of course. Always good.
17. Boots and Kimo- Mac Pancakes and Corned beef/Swiss omelet. Pancakes were still good. I liked the Port Sausauge omelet better.
18. Fukuya- Bento C and D. The Fried Chicken was excellent. Crispy and still warm.
19. Island Snow- a little skimpy on the syrup and the ice was coarse.
20. KaKaako Kitchen- Pot Roast Plate and Chicken Linguine. Linguine was nasty. Pot roast ok.
21. Mariposa Restaurant- ahi tuna sandwich w/ porcini fries. Plantation ice tea. Fries were the best part of the meal. You only get Plantation tea the first time. They fill up your glass with passion fruit ice tea the rest of the time.
22. Side Street Inn- Fried Pork Chop, Pocho Clams, Kim Chee Yakisoba. Everything was delicious. Had to wait about 30 minutes to get in. Service was slow but place was packed.
23. Gulicks Deli- Bento A- Fried Chicken was excellent. Next time I will get the Fried Chicken plate instead.
24. Waiola Shave Ice- This is the best. The ice is shaved so fine. Melts in your mouth.
25. Thelma's Restaurant- Thelmas Special- Lechon, Tomatoes, Onion and Soy Sauce. This dish is the bomb. I would kill for this dish.