Coming back to Chicago...again! We just can't stay away. And this time, we've scored tickets to the Tour of Thailand at Next Restaurant and will be taking a family member along, who's never been to either Next or The Aviary. So both of those are musts and immovable from the schedule.
On previous trips, we've visited the Bongo Room (brunch), Publican (dinner only), Hot Doug's, Xoco (breakfast and lunch), The Gage, Frontera Grill, Sepia (only for brunch), Lao Szechuan, Purple Pig, Sable, Heaven on Seven, The Aviary (loved it so much, we went three times), Girl and the Goat, Julius Meinl, Next, and Big Star.
You might be able to tell from that list above but we are fans of Paul Kahan, Rick Bayless, Grant Achatz, artisanal cocktails, adventurous dishes, raw bars, pork, local vegetables, charcuterie, tapas, offal, eggs, small plates, anything David Chang touches, etc. Husband is not a fan of Chicago-style pizza ("that's not pizza, that's bread with s**t on top") or Italian beef sandwiches, so those are off-limits.
We only have 48 hours so it's a surgical strike w/ some previous favorites mixed in.
Our train arrives at 12:30pm.
Late lunch at Topolobampo (reservations at 2pm)
- Any recommended dishes here? I'm eyeing the ceviches, the queso fundido, the carne asada.
Drinks at The Aviary
- Anyone been recently and tried some of the new menu items, like the sangria?
Dinner at the Publican (reservations at 9pm)
- Husband has requested we go back. We've not been in a year, anything new and notable on the menu?
A nightcap at Sable, if we're feeling up to it
Brunch at Jam
Snack at Big Star
- Husband has requested we go back for some pork belly tacos.
Drinks at The Aviary
Tour of Thailand at Next at 9pm :)
Breakfast at the Doughnut Vault
- uhockey's report has me interested and hopefully the wait won't be too bad on a Thursday.
Lunch at Gramwich? Sable? Purple Pig? Balsan?
- Any thoughts about Gramwich? The grilled cheese caught my eye.
- Other contenders: Sable, Purple Pig (again), or Balsan -- I assume no reservations will be needed for weekday lunch at Sable or Balsan?
Our train departs at 3:15pm.
3324 N California Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
1152 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
445 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60654
445 N Clark St., Chicago, IL 60610
Heaven on Seven
600 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
449 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60654
Girl and the Goat
809 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60661
500 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
Updated 8 months ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 22
Updated 1 year ago | 13
Updated 11 months ago | 11
Updated 2 years ago | 4