I am planning to make the Nutella cake tonight for a friend's birthday, and was just wondering if anyone had made it and had any pointers? Link to recipe: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/n...
- The jar of Nutella I have is 350g, so I'm going to try it with that and add a little extra chocolate, and hope for the best.
- I could only get 85% and the bar with sea salt (45%), both Lindt. I'm going to use half of each so the chocolate isn't too bitter. I can't see the salt hurting.
- I've made a flourless chocolate cake before, and put in a tablespoon of flour to stabilise it (something I had read at the time). I think I will do the same again.
- Should the ground hazelnuts that go in the cake be toasted? I'd assume that it would have a better flavour if it were...
- How finely should I grind the hazelnuts? Is a coarse meal better, or should I try for a fine meal?
- And if I am toasting it, should I do it before grinding or after (I'd prefer to toast in the oven)?
It took me forever to find hazelnuts. Went to about 7 stores and gave up, eventually buying brazil nuts and almonds to substitute. Then I stopped at a convenience store on the way home, wandered past the nut section just in case, and guess what I find!
I recall reading a trick to remove hazelnut skins with a towel, but can't recall it exactly and will do a search - any hints?