We are finally able to make another trip to Montreal and Quebec City I hope too, in early August. I have some questions I hope folks can help with:
(1) We are thinking of going up by train from Montreal to Quebec City on Sunday and staying Sunday and Monday night in Quebec City. Will those days be a problem, restaurantwise? i.e., Are many restaurants closed on these nights in Quebec City?
(2) For the days we stay in Montreal, we are looking for a hotel in or near Old Montreal but not so far down the hill that it is exhausting getting to the Metro. I got some recs here months ago but tried the Hotel Place des Armes, a good location, but it seems to be booked on the weekends in August. I tried the Intercontinental, which was also recommended to me here last year, but it is too expensive. Any other ideas? What is the Holiday Inn Select like, and what is its location like in terms of restaurants, Old City? Is it very noisy where it is?
(3) We have information about hotels such as the Priori and Belley in the Lower City in Quebec, which definitely seem in our price range. But I have trouble with hills, if we are walking around, and am not familiar with the city, so when I hear "Lower" and "Upper" city I get a little worried. Would it be better for us to stay in the Upper City? The Frontenac is way too expensive; any other suggestions? Also, what is that funicular like (I'm not sure what a funicular is, but is it scary?) Are there buses or other transport up the hill if we stay in the Lower City without a car?
(4) Which open-air markets in Montreal do you recommend for lunch? Are they open every day?
(5) Where is the Eggspectation I keep hearing about here? Is it open every day?
(6) Where is Carswell? Does anyone have his email address?
Thanks for all your help!
Updated 6 days ago | 137
Updated 11 days ago | 32
Updated 2 days ago | 21
Updated 4 hours ago | 7
Updated 16 days ago | 22