Had to start a new post for this one, because I saw someone plugging Mike's Pastry in the North End.
Mike's is perfectly acceptable, no faults, but the purely homemade stuff at Modern Pastry, also on Hanover Street in the North End is not to be missed!
Traditional Italian pastry as good as it gets. Second generation now baking as "John" the father is semi-retired.
- The various Nougat and Truffle bars.
- Florentine Lace cookies with gobs of choclate and huge chunks of almonds.
- Ricotta, chocolate chip, strega-soaked sponge cake and whipped cream Cassata.
- Ricotta pie with a cup of coffee, no better breakfast...
- Any pastry in the cooler.
- Zeppoli di San Gioseppe with vanilla pastry cream and sour cherry jam (only made once a year 5-6 weeks before Easter.)
- Almond Macaroons with Pine Nuts.
- Etc. etc.
Curious to see if any other chowhounds swoon as much as I for Modern Pastry.