For the past 40 years, I’ve spent at least a few days each year on The Cape, in Brewster. For most of the past 15+ years, eating out has occurred infrequently. But get the kids out of the cottage and laissez bon temps roulez! Below are some opinions. Feel free to comment, challenge, or add.
Only time will tell if this summer is a death knell for the Brewster Fish House, or merely a speed bump. We’ve had excellent meals there for more than 20 years. However the two during these past two weeks – one lunch, one dinner - were not good. Bland, uninspired preparation. The end of an era? It'd be a shame.
Ratings are 10-point scale, with 10 as the largely unattainable top rating.
- Brewster Coffee House (Brewster); uninspired basic breakfast. Rating: 2.
- Grumpy’s (Dennis); well known, decent overall. I think their better items are things like waffles with a pile o’ berries and whipped cream, vs. standard breakfast fare, although the homemade hash deserves a shout-out. Rating: 7.
- Home Port (Orleans); basic breakfast done well. Rating: 7.
- Keltic Kitchen (West Yarmouth); killer menu, great outdoors area, good execution. OK, the home fries are manufactured, but overall a good filling breakfast. Rating: 6.
- Café Alfresco (Brewster); didn’t try the lobster roll (which I’ve always liked), good fried shrimp po’ boy. Rating: 8.
- Sesuit Harbor Café (Dennis); great clam shack, outside seating next to water channel. Rating: 9.
- Beacon Room (Orleans); really like it, although kind of generic, blue-hair ambience. Strong calamari appetizer, duck, linguini with clams. Rating: solid 8.
- Del Mar (Chatham); good vibe, good eats. Good calamari, refreshing cuke and avocado gazpacho, pumpkin raviolis, and tuna entrée. Rating: solid 8.
- Inaho (Dennis); we love our sushi (family fave is Oishii Too in Sudbury), and this place does pretty well. Rating: 7.5.
- JT’s Seafood (Brewster); busy as always, but food not so great. We prefer Sesuit Café by a lot. Rating: 3
- The Ocean House (Dennis Port); great view, excellent food. Who knew? (Given a Zagat’s 27 rating for food, apparently everyone but me.) Lobster with 4 dipping sauces, kung pao shrimp, chopped veggie salad were all winners. Rating: 8.5.
Them's the culinary results from this year's vaca. Do with it what you will.
415 Rte 28, West Yarmouth, MA 02673
365 Boston Post Rd, Sudbury, MA 01776
Ocean House Restaurant
425 Old Wharf Rd, Dennis Port, MA 02639
Sesuit Harbor Cafe
357 Setucket Rd, Dennis, MA 02638
Brewster Fish House
2208 Main, Brewster, MA 02631
Home Port Restaurant
North Rd, Menemsha, MA 02552
Brewster Coffee Shop
2149 Main St, Brewster, MA 02631
23 West Rd, Orleans, MA 02653