Four of us enjoyed a 14 (?) course 5 hour marathon of outstanding cooking on Saturday evening. This was by far the best meal I've had in DC since Jean Louis left 11 years ago. Fabio is a brilliant chef who can easily stand shoulder to shoulder with anyone in the US. While we will miss him here, but I also look forward to seeing what he will do in NYC in the years to come.
While the following will be woefully inadequate in describing the dishes, it may give you some flavor of the meal.
1. Canapes of smoked salmon and mozarella with olive tamenade
2. A magically illuminated plate containing a fried zuchinni blossom with aioli, a glass of gazpacho, octopus in squid ink sauce, and a taste of tomato water.
3. Fruit balls with balsamic vinegar and parmesean ice cream.
4. Raw tuna and oysters with sorrel foam.
5. Mussels and squid and shrimp in a reduced shellfish broth with spicy bread crumbs.
6. Sea nettle gnocchi with chilis.
7. Lobster ravioli
8. Pear and grappa risotto
9. Foie Gras with mango
10. Whitefish baked in hay.
11. Loin of lamb atop a shredded lamb cake.
13. A chocolate dessert.
14. Another dessert
Caveat: This was not our first visit to Maestro, and our party is known by the chef and the staff. While I do not believe that our "Chef's Meal" would have been any different if this were not the case, I think it is important to mention it.