Does anyone have recs for "slice pizza" anywhere in Chicago ??
Because I live about 1/2 time in NYC I'm in constant craving for NY pizza slices. For those "Lincoln Park Haters" just understand that the reason I taste food in the neighborhood is because I live here and don't always have 2 hours round trip to drive to "the best place in town". This is a report of the "state of the slice" in my Chicago neighborhood:
1) Ranallis, Belden & Fullerton: while I like their whole pies, their "late nite" slice selections are slim pickings. Might do in a pinch but...
2) Luigi's, 2600 N. Clark. At 2.60 for a plain slice this is about 40% higher than the same slice in New York (where $1.75 is a sky-high price)...while it folds nicely it is profoundly tasteless...no appeal
3) Gioio's..Clark & Wrightwood. Gioio's slices might hold you over but it's nothing like great NY pizza. LOaded with glommy cheese, it's a mess to eat, also. Their sausage slice does have that spicy sausage that is flavorful.
4) Renaldi's...B'Way N. of Diversey. Their plain cheese is just a fruitless effort. They try to make up for flavor with a huge glob of stringy melting cheese. The crust breaks like a cracker, there's little or no flavor when all is said and done.
5) Nancy's Stuffed Sausage(Broadway North of Surf) This was tasted "head to head" against Philly's Best Stuffed Sausage (Belmont West of Clark). The Nancy's comes drenched in a ladle of marinara. Somewhat tasty, very zesty sauce. Sausage is spicy. Would do in a pinch
BUT Philly's Best is the better slice. Huge Slice, Not as "saucey", much better balance of flavors. Nice lingering aftertaste. Gets a bit "dough-ey" towards the edges.
6)Un-Named Pizzeria, Lincoln South of Belden. After midnite they sell whole pies at the "by the slice price". Obviously a "price gouging" place. Slice was just barely fair. No desire to return.
7) Chi-Town Pizzeria 951 W. Addison at the Wrigley El. Plain slice very low on flavor, nearly tasteless. At 3.25 a slice is an obvious wrigley rip-off.
8) Bacci Pizza 946 W. Addison at the Wrigley El. Very huge slice at even "huger" price of $4.00. Reasonably tasty cheese but seriously lacks sauce. Too much dough given the thin topping veneer.
9) Philly's Best plain thin slice: Decent. Great tasting cheese but too little sauce and too thick crust detracts.
OVERALL: The only slices with any lingering fondness in my mind are: 1) Philly's best stuffed 2) Gioio's nasty sausage.
NONE of these slices could hold a candle to even Sbarro's which would be my first choice for a tasty slice over any of these.
What passes for slices in Chicago is ridiculous compared to the quality AND LOW PRICE of great New York slices. Now...why is this ? Why do Chicagoans accept this junk ? We have all the ingredients of the New Yorkers.
I think what's happened is that Chicago does have very interesting deep dish and stuffed pies. So we focus on that and just don't get into the slices.
Updated 4 months ago | 9
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 59
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 5