The front page of Ribs by Vintry's menu stated: "Seriously Non-Halal". It's a bold declaration in mainly Muslim-Malaysia, but is really directed at the potential Chinese-Malaysian client base, who get all excited when they can finally find a non-halal Continental restaurant which serves pork - the meat of choice for many Chinese.
What we had at lunch today:
- Vintry's signature roast pork belly. The meat was tasty & well-marinated. The crackling skin was good, but nowhere as good as those you'd find in KL's traditional Chinese restaurants like Wong Kee (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/754791) or even Spanish dining icon, El Meson (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/781808)
- Deep-fried cheese with honey. This was very well-done: mozzarella, coated with crumbed batter & deep-fried till perfectly light-golden, then drizzled generously with honey
- Stir-fried roast pork (siu-yoke) with an unctuous soy-garlic dressing, onions, local chilli padi (birds' eye chillis), curry leaves & Chinese parsley. The dish would have gone well with steamed white rice, Chinese style - but Vintry's stuck to its Continental/American-style cuisine roots, and the only carbo sides available were either mashed potatoes or French fries.
- Chilli mussels with toast. Large, juicy mussels cooked in a slightly spicy tomato concasse sauce. The accompanying freshly-toasted baguette slices were perfect to mope up the juices. Very nicely done.
- Barbecued pork-ribs, served with mash and coleslaw. This is one of Vintry's most popular dishes. The BBQ sauce itself was not outstanding, but the pork-ribs had the perfect balance of tenderness & bite. I was glad that their potato mash was not gummy - something one is apt to encounter in KL, where potatoes are often over-boiled before being mashed into a gluey glob. Here at Vintry's, it was still light. The coleslaw was tasty, although a bit wet - to suit Asian tastes, I guess.
Am glad to report that all the food we had at Vintry were very freshly-cooked a la minute and served at the right temperature. Definitely above average & worth a detour to dine here!
Ribs by Vintry
120-122, Jalan Kasah
50490 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2096 1645