Shang Palace is one of those rare non-halal hotel-based Chinese restaurants in mainly Muslim Kuala Lumpur, where pork is usually banned from hotel kitchens.
But we're there this evening to try out the restaurant's oft-mentioned Peking duck, reputedly one of the best in KL.
- Traditional Peking duck served two ways:
- Crisp skin sliced table-side and wrapped in a pancake with cucumber and spring onions: the skin was not served as hot & crisp as I'd have liked. But the hoi sin sauce had a strong flavour which complemented the skin, pancakes and condiments very well. *This* is one of the best in KL?!
- Duck meat fried with noodles: braised egg noodles with finely julienned duck-meat, mixed vegetables and black pepper sauce. It was a tad heavy for me, but one of my dining companions loved it.
- Mapo tofu with minced pork: pretty bland version here, with not enough hot pepper to pep up the dish. The tofu was also fried first before being braised - *not* the correct way for Mapo tofu which features soft, white tofu. But I'm a sucker for tofu, so polished off this nasty version nonetheless.
- Stewed pork ribs with Chef’s specialty gravy, served with fried mantou buns: best dish for this evening - sweet-ish, meltingly-sork, fall-off-the-bone pork-ribs. Absolutely delicious. The mantou buns were dry-ish though.
- Stewed assorted vegetables and mushrooms in “Nam Yue” sauce. Very average rendition here, and certainly *not* enough "Nam Yue" to give the dish its trademark "umami" flavour. Not impressed.
- Crepes filled with fresh durian and whipped cream - the cream tasted fake, and the durian weren't fresh, but defrosted.
- Almond milk with black sesame-filled rice balls. Average rendition.
Service was top-notch though, and the decor was over-the-top fabulous, as the Shangri-la Group can be depended upon to deliver. Pity about the cooking.
1st Floor, Shangri-la Hotel Kuala Lumpur
11 Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-2074 3904
Updated 12 months ago | 2
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 8