We’re staying near Union Square. We won’t have a car, but we are champion public transit users and walkers. I’ve reviewed many Chowhound SF threads and assembled this list of cheap/lower-cost places to eat during the 6 days we’ll be in SF (June 30-July 5).
1. Should any of the places on this list should be avoided?
2. Are there are glaring omissions? (We like almost all kinds of food except sushi and Burmese ---I loved the Burmese dishes we tried on our last visit but my husband most definitely did not)
3. I’d like to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Is there a good place to eat near the bridge?
4. If we take the ferry to Angel Island, any suggestions for food? Should we just pack a picnic of foods from Ferry Market?
5. I need some suggestions for Happy Hours with good food at good prices. The only one on my list so far is Bar Crudo.
As you can see, we don’t care about ambiance or trendiness. Taste and value are what matter to us.
We’ll be there every single day of our visit. I LOVE this place. What a treasure. Some of the things we’ll eat there include: bread from Acme, fruit from Frog Hollow, Cowgirl cheese and cottage cheese dumplings and cheese stuffed pressed sandwich and savory cheese puffs, Blue Bottle coffee, 4505 hamburger and Merguez and bacon-studded hot dog and bacon maple breakfast sandwich, Boccalone meat cone, Roli Roti quarter chicken and porchetta sandwich, Il Cane Rosso-cinnamon toast for breakfast and something with pork, Cap’t. Mike’s SF style Red Lox sandwich, Primavera chalaquiles and tamales, glass of good wine from the wine bar, and whatever else looks good.
Egg custard at Golden Gate Bakery
Pizza (if we are in the mood for pizza)
Little Star Deep Dish
Ton Kiang in Richmond
Turtle Tower for pho
Inkas or Limon or Limon Rotisserie—which is best?
L’Osteria Del Forno or
Da Flora or
Restorante Bacco in Noe Valley
Higher Price (by my standards) but still on my list:
For Happy Hour:
1658 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
3299 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Golden Gate Bakery
1029 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133
1315 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133
655 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
Turtle Tower Restaurant
631 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94109
2889 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
5821 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94121
Boccalone Factory - Not Open to Public
1924 International Blvd, Oakland, CA 94606
524 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110
, Hayward, CA
2886 16th St, San Francisco, CA 94103
Blue Bottle Cafe
66 Mint St, San Francisco, CA 94103
701 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133
1003 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103
1268 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Updated 1 month ago | 9
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 7 months ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 6