Good to see the Hungry Detective go to my stomping grounds in the South Bay area. I read his column whenever I eat alone at a restaurant.
1. San Pedro Ports of Call: Awesome to see them do this. I like going here...would have been better if they showed him waiting in line to order with the ticket/call system or on a sunday when its full of families.
2. Rajun Cajun: don't really dig this place. I've only been once, got a mix of items...just didn't like the food....something like Uncle Darrows would have been better for their Po Boys in a non-descript minimall....
3. The hawaiian restaurant in the bowling alley at some bowling alley. I've never been here but saw it on some chowhound posts. dunno if i'll go outta my way to go there..perhaps if i crave....
4. Some mexican market..Los Paisas: never been here either...i've probably passed it a bunch of times.
5. Rizzos Pizza: never heard of it either. I guess he worked here when he was young.
Would have loved to see that Burger place on Rosecrans which I think he reviewed before in the paper. Maybe some of the japanese restaurants in gardena...can't win em all and he had to narrow them down to 5.
Again, loved that he stayed away from the eastside and hollywood...something I do since the South Bay rocks!