On Sunday, 6/1/2008, 16 members of Houston Chowhounds (HoustonCH) attended an 9+ course dinner at Feast, a new restaurant in the Montrose area of Houston which serves "rustic european fare." This was our first official HoustonCH event. We contacted the restaurant in advance and they agreed to serve us the 8 course tasting menu that they offer every Wednesday night for $40pp. We made plans directly with one of Feast's two chefs, Richard Knight, and also told him that we were a group of foodies and he had carte blanche to go 'crazy' with the menu which he was very excited about.
Chef Knight greeted our huge table which was setup in their back room. He explained each course in great detail including preparation techniques and set the stage for the impressive dishes that followed.
On our menu:
(please feel free to correct me or add additional details i left out)
1. salmon bisque w/ fennel pollen & fennel blossoms
2. cured pork liver with mandarin orange sections and blackberries (off-menu)
3. date and fresh peach salad with roasted carrots and walnuts
4. pork cheeks over dandelion salad w/ toasted bread & caperberries
5. housemade sweetbreads, fois gras, and pork confit terrine (off-menu)
6. ruby trout stuffed with saffron rice over buttered leeks
7. roasted pork leg w/crispy skin served w/applesauce and bubble & squeak (off-menu)
8. lemon sorbet
9. chocolate mousse cake
10. spotted dick
we were a happy and stuffed group leaving the restaurant. kudos to the chef and staff! the chef came back around for a Q&A with the table. it's just priceless being able to have open dialogue with the chef. the hospitality was warm and friendly, the service was smooth and efficient which is a hard thing to accomplish with a group this large.
i know a few people took photos. anonymouseater's photos are already up on his blog: http://foodinhouston.blogspot.com/200.... i'm hoping misha's will pop up on his blog soon: http://www.tasty-bits.com/. for anyone else who took photos, please attach them to this thread.
now let the reviews begin!