It’s that time of year. All hot cross bun sightings will be appreciated.
In the past, I had standards … white icing cross, generous raisins, restrained candied fruit, not spiced with cloves.
The heck with it … some of the best buns didn’t meet those standards.
Don’t like the supermarket types that usually have a tasteless bun, too much candied fruit and not enough raisins and … shudder … a pineapple topping.
Anything anywhere is fair game. Who knows where I’ll be in the next few weeks.
This year kicked off with La Fayette in San Rafael … a pretty decent hot cross bun despite no white icing cross. Last year to get this bun … the bakery closes its doors in April, the owner retires, the bakery torn down and replaced by condos. Not officially in the ranking because it is going away … but it would have been maybe # 7
Here’s my past rankings:
1) Hopkins Bakery (Berkeley)
2) Virginia Bakery (Berkeley
)3) Crixa (Berekeley) Not cross bun
4)Bennet Valley Bread & Pastry (Berkeley Farmers Market)
5) Sweet Adeline (Oakland)
6) Crixa (Berkeley) Hot cross bun
7) Bear Claw Bakery (Pinole)
8) Palo Alto Baking Company
9) FatApples (El Cerrito & Berkeley)
10) Chestnut Street Bakery (SF)
11) Danilo (SF)
12) The Bread Garden (Berkeley)
13) Liberty Café (SF)
14) Masse's (Berkeley)
15) Victoria Pastry (SF & Marin)
16) La Farine (Berkeley & Oakland)
17) Acme (Berkeley & SF)
19) Schubert’s Bakery (SF)
20) The Bread Workshop (Berkeley)
21) Whole Foods
22) Boudin (SF)
23) Emporio Rulli (SF & Larkspur)
24) Miette (SF)
Top of my list to try this year … come hell or … well, hell … in order of preference unless I hear otherwise
- Sweet Things Bakery in Cal Mart at Laurel Village or Sausalito
- House of Bread (Albany)
Others waiting to be tried:
- June Taylor (Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on Saturday)
- Ladyfingers (Oakland)
- Citizen Cake (SF)
- Il Fornaio bakery (SF)
- Cake Box (Lafayette)
- Dianda’s (SF)
- Gayle's Bakery (Santa Cruz)
- Delanghe (SF) didn’t make them last year
- La Boulange / Bay Breads (SF, Temescal Farmers Market & Mill Valley)
- Noe Valley Bakery (SF) Tried them in 2002, but forget the details
- Downtown Bakery (SF & Healdsburg) Tried them in 2003, but forget the details
- The Village Bakery (Sebastopol)
- Arizmendi (SF location had a sign to reserve them for Easter a few years back)
- Brioche Bakery (SF) Maybe yes, maybe no. If they make them it will be close to Easter.
Hot Cross Buna and Pretzel origins
Details are in the next post so the rather long descriptions collapse after reading.