Few chains in HK (or anywhere else for that matter) can actually garner so much plaudits from foodies. Tasty in HK is one of those rare ones, and its popular branch at the lofty IFC mall in HK's Central district is perpetually packed with diners due to its central location.
What we had:
- Century egg with pickled ginger - not a good rendition here. For the best, go to Yung Kee on Wellington St.
- Pan-fried turnip cake with preserved meats - definitely the best version I'd tried in HK for a long time. The turnip cake has that elusive smooth, custardy texture which many dim sum houses tried to achieve, but few succeeded. Whether by sheer talent or fluke, this one we had here today was stupendous.
- Spicy pork on egg noodles - I don't quite take to this dish (it was ordered by a Singaporean dining companion - and I think she did it by mistake as she'd wanted a wanton noodle). The pork strips were bathed in a sweet-slightly spicy sauce reminiscent of the Singapore chilli crab sauce. But what's good for the crab is not quite suitable for the pork.
- Pork & pig's offal rice congee - a delight. Obviously, Tasty does their congee very, very well: smooth, pearly white and flavoursome. The pig's stomach, liver and intestines were nice, but the kidney wasn't properly prepared and the smell was overwhelming. Small glitch.
- Braised pomelo skin topped with preserved shrimp roe - my fave Cantonese dish in the whole wide world. Unfortunately, the version here was overly-salty and flavours were unbalanced - coming across as bitterish. The pomelo's texture was slightly firmer than it should be. For better renditions, I'd go to Fu Sing, Tim's Kitchen or, my fave for the moment, Pang's Kitchen.
- Steamed "har-gow" (shrimp dumplings) - good, but not outstanding.
- Fried rice with egg-white and conpoy - very well done, with perfect texture.
- Stewed beef and tendons on egg noodles - superb, the long-steweed beef was simply exquisite. I'd come back to Tasty just for this dish.
Tasty Congee & Noodles Wantun Shop
Shop 3016-3018 Podium Level 3, IFC Mall
1 Harbour View St, Central
Updated 11 months ago | 1
Updated 2 years ago | 9
Updated 2 years ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 6