So... I've looked around Chowhound fairly significantly, and I'm coming up short on suggestions for precisely what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is the best restaurant in Chicago for one person. I'm heading to Chicago in August, and my wife won't be able to join me the first night. I'll be flying in Friday, and she joins me on Saturday morning. That means I'm on my own for Friday night, and I'll need something to do.
Obviously that means different things for different people, so let me set out a few "conditions" to explain what I'm looking for:
1. Ideally I'm looking for a place with a great bar scene. I prefer NOT a club scene, but a good bar with quality cocktails and good food would be appreciated. I usually feel more comfortable by myself sitting at a bar, but I would consider a good restaurant if you have a strong suggestion.
2. I'm staying at the Intercontinental Miracle Mile Chicago. Nearby would be handy, but I'm not opposed to taking a cab.
3. I prefer (though not exclusively) more modern food. Interesting proteins, preparations and sophisticated plating. That means that while it has its place, I'm not really looking for deep dish pizza or a steakhouse. Delicious? Maybe. What I'm looking for? Not this time.
4. A cocktail program would be nice, but not at all required. I'm a big fan of wine, but a good cocktail program is always helpful. Like I said above, a bar is nice, but frankly a wine bar location is fine too. Either way is good!
5. Not terribly concerned about cost, but since my wife is coming into town the next day, we'll probably go all out the next day (or two), since we have two nights in town. I'd take suggestions for those meals too, but for this meal I'd like to get out probably for under $100 including drinks. (but if there's a can't miss place a bit more, please don't leave it out!)
There's lots of great ideas (and I'm soaking them all in!) on this board, but I couldn't find this nugget of info. Any help?