Once offering some of GTA's best Shanghainese cuisine, the former chef and owner have since moved on, resulting in my removal of this establishment from my culinary radar screen.
However, after hearing from the grape-vine that the 'new' owner/chef was a former chef of the famous Hong Kong Shanghainese restaurant - TST Prat's Avenue 'Shanghai Restaurant', I decided to give it a try.
The place was packed at around 7.30pm but we were lucky that a 'table for 4' opened up after just a short wait. Ordering from both the special menu on the wall as well as from the a la carte menu, we selected a potpourri of traditional and contemporary Shanghainese dim sum and entree dishes
Service was understandably slow, the food took a relatively long time to come out from the kitchen, but we were fortunate to be rewarded with some really delicious and well-executed food.
We ordered the following:
- Pan fried pork buns ( an alternate to the traditional pot-sticker )
- Crispy sesame coated crepe pocket with diced pork and spicy Szechuan preserved turnips filling.
- Spicy peanut sauce base 'Dan-Dan' noodles
- Crispy aromatic duck ( duck con fit style ) 香酥鴨
- Stirred fry Pea shoot topped with baby bamboo shoot in brown sauce
- Szechuan spicy double cook pork belly with cabbage 回鍋肉,
- Fried heads-on prawns in garlic butter with crispy garlic chips and leek Julianne
Apart from a misstep in executing the 'Double cooked pork belly' ( too much starchy gravy and mushy texture pork belly slices ), the rest of our dishes were nicely done and tasty - some even uber-tasty!!
Worth mentioning were:
- the nicely seasoned pork filling of the pan-fried buns. (The rice wine used was intoxicating).
- The incredible wok-hay of the pea-shoot dish.
- The duck! Totally grease less, ultra crispy and perfectly seasoned. We devour even the crunchy and tasty bones!!
- The intensely flavorful Dan-Dan noodles with its home made noodles and great broth. Make sure to mix the noodle completely with the peanut base sauce/soup.
- High light of the evening - The 'Garlic butter fried prawns'! Soooo good! You have to taste it! Period!!
Total bill came to only $66. Absolutely a steal!!
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 7 months ago | 0
Updated 3 months ago | 1