Already posted this in cookware, didn't get any responses. Any grillers out there tonight?
Hi, I'm looking to invest a a good gas grill. Living in South FL, we're entering that time of year when we can expect 90 degrees plus 100% humidity for months. We need to cook outside to avoid overheating the A/C cooled house. DH has done all the grilling in the past, it's my turn to get comfortable with the long tongs. Here are the features we're looking for, in order of importance:
1. Very good temperature control. I want to be able to bake a cake in it. Or even a souffle. The idea is to replace both the stovetop and the oven for the summer months.
2. At least one side burner.
3. ALL stainless, not just part. The sun and humidity here are incredibly destructive.
4. High BTU output, as I want to experiment with high temp cooking that I can't do on my standard gas stove inside.
5. Enough surface area to easily serve dinner for six people, and have a few different temp cooking options at a time.
6. Would prefer to spend less on my outdoor grill than I would on a standard indoor stovetop/oven.
Also, I really don't know a thing about grill features, like ceramic heating elements vs. traditional. (You may have heard the saying - There is what you know you know, what you know you don't know, and then, what you don't know you don't know.) Sadly, when it comes to grills, I suspect I am deep in the territory of not knowing what I don't know!!! I trust you chowhounders more than consumer reports on this one!
Do you think buying a grill built specifically for a big box store is a good or bad idea?
Also, maybe one of you has done something really out there, like installing a commercial stove outside, and had success?
Do you have a grill you love that meets these needs? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!