I won't go into too much detail but we had our anniversary at GD last night and it was LOVELY.
1) Seared Ahi Tuna with Avocado, Nori, Enoki Mushrooms and Lemon Soy Dressing
2) Pan Fried Tai Snapper with Saffron, Olives, Couscous and Harissa
3) Sauteed Guinea Hen Breast and Boudin with Cipollini and Apple
4) Meyer Lemon Soufflé Cake with Blood Orange
1) Glazed Oysters with Osetra Caviar, Asparagus Tips and Lettuce Cream
2) Pancetta Wrapped Frog Legs with Sunchoke Garlic Pure, Potato, Lentils and Parsley Sauce
3) Roasted Quail Stuffed with Wild Mushrooms and Foie Gras, Quinoa Pilaf and Pine Nuts
4) Baked Chocolate Soufflé with Two Sauces
His favorite was the snapper, mine the oysters. Mmmmm.
AND, we actually got to have the signature horseradish-crusted salmon as well, because one of my Frog Legs was terribly undercooked. I sliced into it and remarked "It's bleeding!" They were incredibly gracious, one waitperson took it away, came back to apologize, then the maitre d' came over to apologize and of course then our server made up for it with the salmon. It probably isn't all that often that food gets sent back, so I felt like they were extra concerned about it for the rest of the night.
Service was impeccable and not at all overbearing (though every five minutes it seemed like we saw a new server appear), the atmosphere (in the side room) was nice and comfortable. The food was deee-lish and I was actually quite stuffed when we left (the extra salmon went a long way). They had us sitting side-by-side which we NEVER do, but no complaints about that really.
What a lovely place to celebrate. Since I had let them know that it was a special occasion they dressed up the little plate of tartlets etc. that they serve at the end (regardless of whether you had dessert, apparently) with a chocolate-scrawled "Happy Anniversary." And everyone seems to get a fancily-wrapped pineapple cake to take with.
Highly recommended, although it's certainly, price-wise, a special occasion place for the likes of us (e.g. struggling student types). Excellent!
Updated 11 months ago | 2
Updated 2 years ago | 0
Updated 11 months ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 6