I was given a gift of some fresh black truffles. They were unfortunately stored in a sealed plastic bag for several days along with a dry-cured sausage, and now they are completely covered in a powdery white mold (seemingly not unlike that which grows on the outside of salumi). I'm a bit heartbroken, as they tasted delicious prior to storage.
Can I assume that the mold is likely the same as that on the sausage, and harmless? Should I trim off the entire exterior (which would drastically reduce the amount of usable truffle I get)? Or is it somehow dangerous enough that even that isn't enough and I have to toss them?
I haven't been able to find any info searching, so any informed advice is much appreciated.
Updated 8 months ago | 2
Updated 2 months ago | 4
Updated 6 months ago | 1
Updated 10 days ago | 6
Updated 1 month ago | 18