Since the late 90s I’ve been to Rome nine times, always dining well. I’m now planning a trip to Rome again this coming March. This will likely be my last trip to Rome; I’m getting old and it’s time to see Greece before I die. Because this will be my Farewell To Rome trip, I want to savor the finest of Rome’s fine dining.
I've hung around this board for several years, and I've come to appreciate the comments here. So I welcome Chowhounders' judgements about fine dining in Rome. For the record, I’m an omnivore, and enjoy trying new dishes – even Rome’s tripe, which I like. Below is list, first of places where I’ve been, then where I’ve not. I will likely choose just one or two restaurants, my choice based on Chowhounder recommendations. So let me know what you think for a “Last Meal In Rome” evening. And tell me if you think some of these places are not really "fine dining".
PLACES WHERE I’VE BEEN AND DINED WELL:
* Il Convivio Troiani – my favorite to date, where I’ve eaten always once during a stay in Rome. Tell me, is there a better restaurant? Is La Pergola even better? I ate here last in 2007.
* Agata e Romeo: I ate here last in 2004
* Chechino dal 1887. I ate here last 2006
* Piperno I ate here last in 2002
* Camponeschi: Piazza Farnese 50. I ate here last 2002
* L'Archeologia, Via Appia Antica 139. I ate here last 2006
* Enoteca Capranica. I ate here last in 2006
PLACE WHERE I’VE NOT DINED YET HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION:
* Acquolina: up near the Milvian Bridge, owned by Il Convivio Troiani, speciality is seafood, open also late at night. A new restaurant. http://www.acquolinahostaria.com
*Antico Arco, in the Piazza Aurelia
* Hostaria dell’Orso
* Quinzi & Gabrielli
* Il Pagliccio
* La Pergola (hotel Rome Cavalierei Hilton). Is it really that good, really a place where fine diners must eat once in their life?
* Mirabelle (Hotel Splendid Royal) I suspicious about restaurants in hotels. I’ve heard good new about this one.
* Imago (Hotel Hassler). ditto.
Thanks. I'll be posting over the next few months other requests about Rome.