So I finally made my way to Fatty Crab to try it out, I'm kind of a chili crab snob b/c i lived in Singapore for a little while, so keep that in mind as I may have some biases. Anyhow, the place is a tiny place in the west village that is kind of cool (the west vilage is by far and away my favorite area in the city), but very cramped like your tables are almost on top of each other. It was about a 35 min wait, which wasn't too bad considering what ive heard about wait time here.
Anyhow, on to the food:
- steamed bun with pork: these were pretty good though not amazing, kind of similar to a gua bao (if you know taiwanese food you'll know this), its basically a steamed white bun with a big flab of tender fatty pork and then they give a side of cilantro, pickled peppers and a sort of hoisin sauce to put on it as you please
- chicken wings: horrible, i hated these, they were chicken wings that i think were boiled that had this thick salty semi spicy sauce..my gf and i both thought they were horrible
- watermelon and crispy pork: this was alright, i think i know where they were trying to go with this and it almost works, but just falls a bit short. its chopped up water melon and pieces of grilled pork belly topped with green onions or scallions and a sort of vinagrette, while it tastes decent it just doesnt all go together right
- black pepper mussels: this was probably the best dish, i liked this quite a bit, it was a mussels cooked in a spicy black pepper broth. The mussels were tasty and the sauce was tasty as well and then pieces of toast they give u are nice to soak up the broth
- chili crab: the house specialty. To get to the point, its just ok, nothing special. The sauce is too thick its almost a tomato paste type thickness, its too tart and it doesn't have any egg beaten into it although it is spicy which is good. The crabs don't have very much meat, which makes it even more of a pain in the ass to eat than normal
Overall, its not a bad place, but not a great place...worth trying if you want something different, but not even close to the real thing (look i know its a sort of fusion place, but even on an absolute basis its just alright)