I was given a George Foreman grill a while back and I have to say it's awesome. I thought these were a gimmick but it works very well. I do one burger at a time for 5 minutes and they come out quite nice. I don't have to flip them and all the grease drains into the little catcher.
I cut off any fat and dump it, a long with the grease into a container.
At first I was using a big cup from Wendy's to dump the grease in. I noticed when it was halfway full and I lifted it up there was some mold on the bottom. It looked like white stringy cobwebs with black dots.
I thought fat did not go moldy? I thought only after long periods of non refrigeration it would go rancid?
I chucked out the cup and started using a plastic container and covered it. Not even a quarter full and this mold is back again growing near the roof of the container.
So should I be putting it in the fridge? I know bacon fat doesn't go moldy being left out...
I am not saving this fat for anything, I just need to store it before I can toss it. You can't dump it down the drain.