Had a wonderful dinner at Kiriko tonight. One of the highlights of the meal was a wonderful, clean, fresh matsutake soup in a tea pot. I was a little uncertain on how to approach the soup at first (since it arrived in...a tea pot). As it turns out, you pour the soup into a small tea cup and sip as you would fine tea and eat the matsutake out of the pot. There were also 2 pieces of some sort of white fish (probably snapper) to flavor the broth.
Sushi was of a very good quality. I would say a 8 out of 10. The rice, a little weak, probably a 7 out of 10. The nigiri consisted of:
1. tai: good quality but nothing exceptional
2. tuna zuke: very flavorful. just the right amount of shoyu and vinegar.
3. toro (somewhere below chu toro). nice
6. saba: a little fishy and not as oily as it can be
7. baby bluefin tuna: AMAZING. Simply melt in your mouth. I didn't like the garlic chip on top though...it almost overpowered the perfectness of the fish.
8. kanpachi: creamy, delicous
9. shimaaji: a little fishy and lacking the rim of pink fat.
10. house smoked coho salmon: so rich and smokey it tasted like pastrami.
Overall, as everyone has mentioned, excellent quality for a decent price. I'd probably rank the place a solid 7.5-8.0 out of 10 with Mori being a 9. The rice was a little weak and the selection was a tad limited. The saba and the shimaaji weren't on par with the best I've had.
However, the matsutake soup was stellar as was the baby bluefin tuna.