We will have friends visiting the area from Washington, D.C. later this month. They were recently engaged and wanted to take them out to dinner to celebrate. There will only be four of us and it will be a Thursday night.
Here are the preferences:
1) Not red meat focused (not a steakhouse);
2) Something unique to the Bay Area (can be "California cuisine" but does not have to be);
3) Can be in San Francisco, East Bay, Peninsula or South Bay
4) Budget is relatively open (not looking to spend French Laundry type money, but looking for something nice)
5) They won't have suits/dresses. So nothing with a very strict dress code.
We tried to get a reservation at Chez Panisse, but it was booked.
Potentially thinking of Zuni Cafe. But we'd like some other options.