My sister and I just returned from a quick weekend trip to the Windy City. I spent hours scouring the Chicago board, making lists , taking notes and lurking around all the other posts. The first thing I need to say is listen to the recommendations from nsxtasy - from what I experienced pretty much spot on. We stayed in the Theater district and everything was in walking or short trips on the 'L' or a quick bus ride. Here's where we ate:
1. Frontera - believe it or not we were seated immediately on a Saturday morning at 11:30. No doubt the the restaurant gods were with us. The restaurant was packed. The food spot on. Guacamole was so fresh and perfect. If only we could have taken a bucket home with us.
2. Nacional 27 - only small plates. Not overly impressed. Our wish was the chips from Nacional 27 with the guac from Frontera - would have put us in foodie heaven.
3. Bongo Room - I just so can't pass up that chocolate french toast thingy they've got going on. It's so bad yet so good. I had it last year when I was there and just couldn't deviate from this indulgence.
4. Cafe des Architects - my mouth was so pleased with the wonderful flavors that danced around. Service was impeccable.
5. Fox and Obel - breakfast in the cafe in the back of the store. Cafeteria style, very casual but very good. Loved the great flavor of the breakfast potatoes. Of course we couldn't leave without a cinnamon swirl roll from the bakery. Light and delicious.
6. Garret Popcorn - neither one of us are huge caramel popcorn fans but it did win us over. If nothing else go in there just for the smell. mmmm good.
So I just really wanted to say thank you nsxtasy for all your work and expertise, it was very much appreciated!
So much food, so little time!!
1152 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
325 W. Huron, Chicago, IL 60610
Windy City Cafe
1062 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60642
Updated 11 hours ago | 15
Updated 13 hours ago | 19
Updated 7 hours ago | 46
Updated 18 hours ago | 14
Updated 3 days ago | 89