I know, I know. Another one of "those" threads. My apologies in advance but would like to get some help from this very helpful community regarding an upcoming 4 night trip to NYC from May 26 - 30. One of the things I have found by reading like threads like this one is that is helpful to provide some insight about us as well as our likes, dislikes, etc. So on that note, here we go:
- We are a mid thirties couple coming to NYC (my second time but my wife's first time).
- We live in a pretty small city in Atlantic Canada that I can almost gurantee no one has heard of.
- We are not huge into "fine dining" (i.e. EMP, WD-50,Ko etc) but prefer everything from good hole in the walls and food trucks to great casual spots with a nice atmosphere to restaurants that are a little different (Saam Bar, Noodle Bar).
- We are staying in a Hampton Inn on 35th East most are not restrained to Mid Town (obviously)
- In terms of our Food likes and what we are looking for:
Good Casual Mexican (not expiremental\fusion or upscale)
Great Fried Chicken (specifically Breast Meat) and preferabbly an option with waffles
A spot with lots of food trucks to choose from.
A couple of cool drinking spots that are not too busy. My wife is not a big drinker but will have 1 or 2 mixed drinks. Also would prefer somethign with a good sountrack\juke box (i.e. like all kinds of music from 60s soul to 00 indie rock)
Any other good recommendations that line up with our likes (we like pretty much everything so open to suggestions with the exceptions of our dislikes below):
- Food dislikes\what we are not looking for: Seafood heavy restaurants, sushi, Nova\smoked salmon
- Budget: The primary focus on this trip is to Eat, Shop with touristy stuff at the bottom of the list.
- We are likely going to stay midtown - south with most time likely spent in areas like LES, Chinatown, East Village, Midtown. We *may* go to Brooklyn for 1 day. I would prefer not to go up to the Upper East\West sides or north.
Here is what our itininerary looks like so far:
Lunch - Katz\Big Gay Ice Cream Shop
Dinner - TBS: Needs some suggestions here. This will be our first night in NYC and we may prefer somethign closer to our hotel as we will have been up very early and would prefer to get another day of getting our bearings under us to travel to far at night.
Drinks: TBS: Again looking for something close to home base to cap the night off.
Lunch - Get supplies at Eataly and have a picnic in Madison Park
Dinner - TBS: Totally open here
Drinks - TBS: hopefully some place close to the dinner spot or back at home base
Lunch - Gray's Pappaya
Dinner - Babbo (already have reservations)
Drinks - Hopefully some place close to Babbo or back in Mid-town
Lunch: TBS - Totally open. This may be the day we do Brooklyn though this is not set in stone
Dinner: Noodle Bar / Milk Bar for Dessert
Drinks: Same as above. Hopefully some place in the East Village near by or back up in mid-town
Phew, ok hopefullly that s enough to go on. Let me know if you ahve questions and thanks in advance for all of the help and suggestions!