Went there on Sunday around 7:15am. We were only 1 of 2 tables. By the time we started eating the place started to fill up more ~ 6 tables. After tasting a bunch of breakfast items I hope the word gets out. This is the best breakfast I've had in the OC by miles and up there with any good breakfast place in the OC - John O'Groats and BLD were my two favorites in LA.
- egg white omelet with red peppers, asparagus, mushrooms and cheese with hash browns and rye toast
- breakfast sandwich - fried egg with sausage, ham, red eye gravy on english muffin
- waffle with berries and whipped cream (compliments of the chef. Joe actually brought it out himself and we talked for a few minutes about kids).
- each of the egg plates also had a roasted tomato with fontina cheese baked on top
- side order of crispy bacon
- single origin coffee
Everything on the table was excellent. The quality of the ingredients was top notch. The bacon was crispy, porky, smoky, salty and delicious. The hash browns were the best we've had anywhere bar none. They were actually seasoned and flavored with chives, onions and other savory characters. Crispy on the outside and no need for salt, hot sauce or ketchup for these hash browns. We'll never be satisfied with regular hash browns that you have to douse with salt, pepper and some type of condiment. The eggs were fluffy and perfectly cooked. Each of the vegetables in the omelet maintained their integrity in terms of texture, color and flavor. There was real care put into the dish. The sausage and red eye gravy were lovely. I haven't had a ton of red eye gravy but this was mouth watering. I tried scooping up all the gravy that fell off the sandwich with anything in site.
The coffee was fantastic. We don't like the overly roasted bitter stuff at Starbucks. This was real good quality coffee with good balance between roasted notes and full flavor beans.
the tab was $36 total with tip. We'd easily spend that much at Original House of Pancakes. The servings were much more reasonable at Early Bird but the quality of the product far exceeds any other breakfast we've had in the OC. We're going next weekend for lunch and can't wait.