In another episode of my continued effort to seek out GTA's best Dim Sum. This time, my quest took me to a long overdue revisit of Regal16 in Richmond Hill.
Before going on to the food, I would just like to start off by saying the service we received from the two waitresses looking after us was unexpectedly friendly and attentive!! A rarity amongst Chinese restaurants under civic holiday traffic and pressure!
Now to the food. The four of us ordered the following:
- Steamed prawn dumplings - Har Gow
- Prawn spring rolls with wasabi mayo
- Taro croquettes
- Steamed Chicken feet
- Steamed pork spareribs with preserved olives
- Steamed ' cheung fun' rice roll with prawns and yellowing chives
- Fried Five spice squid tentacles
- Baked pineapple and b-b-q pork puff
- Steamed traditional b-b-q buns
- Steamed tripe with Satay sauce
- Egg custard tarts
- Honey and cane sugar honey comb sponge cake
- Sam-Pan congee ( seafood and shredded b-b-q duck )
As eluded to in my posting title. Food presentation, unlike the higher end Casa's, Yang's, Empire Court, LTH...etc was fairly mediocre. However, overall seasoning and taste of the dishes were almost all 'spot-on'! Tastewise, one of the best this year, outshining Emperor, Brilliant, Yang's, Empire Court, Sam Woo, Shangri-La...etc. Stand out dishes include, the Taro croquettes ( tasty, generous juicy filling ), Beef tripe ( tender and lovely sauce ), pineapple b-b-q pork puffs, Squid tentacles ( very addictive but a touch greasy ), Egg custard tart ( perfectly baked, piping hot and sooo good! ) and the Honeycomb sponge ( not light and fluffy enough but super aromatic and delicious! ). Lastly, all their prawns used ( be it in the Har Gow, Congee or Cheung Fun ) are huge, nicely seasoned, crunchy and fresh.
The bill comes to $56 before tips. Very reasonable for a civic holiday.
Considering this place with its above average dim sum is less than 5 minutes drive from my house, I'm very contended
Updated 5 months ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 9 months ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 11