I'm looking for a little help choosing a restaurant for a first date that will impress without breaking the bank. I'm willing to spend about $100 for the two of us, but not too much more than that unless it's really stellar. My guidelines are these:
- She's lactose intolerant and doesn't eat red meat. I don't have any dietary restrictions.
- She loves Cafe Mogador on St. Mark's, but I don't know anything about Moroccan food, and want to seem a little intelligent about things.
- Ambiance is very important to me. Somewhere that feels cozy and neighborhood-y where I can wear nice jeans and a button down. Stark and minimalist and words that I'm looking to avoid.
- She lives just east of Union Square near St. Mark's and I'm an Upper West Sider. Looking to find somewhere not too far for her.
- We decided Japanese is a safe possibility, someplace with both great sushi as well as cooked options from the kitchen. We're not limited to Japanese, though.
With all of this in mind, I've done a lot of research, and Le Miu seems like a good options, although the reviews on this and other boards are very mixed. I'm also considering Jane in the West Village. Seems like a good vibe with good food.
Opinions on these options would be helpful, but I'm also really looking for new suggestions. It's for Friday night, so somewhere that it's possible to get a reservation for is good too...
My infinite thanks.