San Diego is the first destination of my family's west coast trip (will go next Tuesday for two days and go to San Francisco for three days via LA <half-day>). I am from Chicago.
Here is my list of the dishes and the best restuarants I found so far.
1. Fish Taco: South Beach Bar & Grill, Marisco's German (truck 3...different?)
2. Carne Burrito <skirt steak burrito>: Lolita's Taco Shop
3. Seafoods: Point Loma Seafoods, El Pescador Fish Market
4. Breakfast (nearby Omni hotel, not upsacale/fancy, best value, mexican influenced menu?): The misson (which location?): ??
5. Lunch at or near San Diego Zoo (not sure if there's decent lunch spot at or nearby the Zoo
For reference, I will try some others in other cities (Japanese Don-Katz & Udon/Ramen: LA, Clam chowder: Splash Cafe at Pismo beach, Dim Sum, Chinese, Seafood <seafood>, maybe Asian/italian: San Francisco).
As you immediately know, my research is way too basic. Please let me know your comments and other restaurants to suit my needs (just want to try the best restaurants in each category). Also, if there's any other dishes/categories I must try at SD, feel free to let me know.
Thanks for your kindly help in advance.