I'd like to find a new, usual sushi bar. It's quite self centered of me, but I'll see what happens if I talk about myself a bit and see if I get any suggestions. Of course, I have searched and read reviews and even have a list of likely candidates to try. Ideally, I'm hoping to add to my list of places to try (or perhaps to re-order my list).
I find that I haven't been enjoying as much sushi lately; I don't currently have a go-to place.
My criteria (I know much of this is subjective, but that might lead to discussion):
* Sushi Bar
* In or near SF
* Moderate to Moderate-High cost
* Japanese trained sushi chef
* Friendly and accessible to non-Japanese speaker (Not "sushi-nazi")
* Quiet and relaxed (no techno music)
* Some other small dishes and decent sake
History of places that I frequented. I was never monogamous, and even found other places that I may have enjoyed more, but had comfortable usuals:
* 80's Boston: As students, we'd go out once a semester to Tatsukichi. Couldn't afford more than that, but it was a good intro to sushi. Palo Alto: Fuki Sushi when the prof was paying.
* 90's Palo Alto: Sushi-ya on University (I think Toshi was there at that time) (Alternate was Fukisushi or Sushi Tei).
* late-90's SF: Kabuto. (Alternate was Osaka on Fillmore).
* 00's SF: Murasaki. (Alternate was Tekka).
I'm probably leaving out something important. But, I'm ready for suggestions.