I hope you can help me out with this one. A little while ago in my country a man has died because of botulism. This is how I began reading about it. I have OCD, and all these news and new information have really scared me. Yesterday I bought some fresh carrots and potatoes which were wrapped in a sealed plastic bag (the bags had some air in them, but they weren't punctured). I forgot the bags on the counter until today, and now I'm afraid to use the carrots and the potatoes. I don't want to can them or anything, I just want to cook them in the oven or use them for soups.
As far as I understand, the toxin itself can be destroyed by boiling the products, but what about the spores? If there are any spores, and no toxin, will they be destroyed by my gastric acid? I don't understand how these things work. Please help me out :(