Aloha HI hounds! My husband & I are going to Honolulu for a long overdue vacation and are looking fwd to some fantastic food experiences! I have family in Kaimuki, and have been to Honolulu about half a dozen times, so know my way around a bit, BUT it's been a good 8 yrs since my last trip, & I know things have changed. We'll have a car at our disposal for the entire trip, so we can pretty much go anywhere we please. Based on some research (on this board & elsewhere), I have a few questions which I hope you'll indulge...
1. I want to take my husband out for his bday (a Friday) for a memorable dinner (meaning: something we won't necessarily get in new england), but don't necessarily want to break the bank (though I'm sorely tempted): $250ish is ok, $500 is probably not :)
2. Chinatown: What's a 'must visit' for you when you go? I am embarassed to say that I didn't go on my last trip, so really have no clue anymore.
3. Best/favorite place for plate lunch (I've planned on Rainbow, but curious what you all have to say on the matter)?
4. Uncle's vs. Nico's - My Auntie and Uncle are firmly in the 'Uncle's' camp, but again, curious.
5. Almost embarrassed to ask, but I have to: What is the deal with that 'Hole in the Wall' food tour? Is it really worth $100pp, or should we just scour the boards and pick our own adventures (as we usually do)? Everyone (friends, TA users) just raves about it, but I am really skeptical.
A few things I know we'll aready be doing (based on my prev. experiences):
-KCC farmer's market (as we'll have access to a kitchen, so can cook later on)
-Rainbow (for nostalgia's sake, as went w/ family when we were little - hoping it's still worth it).
-OPH (for same reasons as above--God, I love that coco syrup!)
-Mai Tais (but willing to change to try another view-worthy palce if cocktails are better)
Mahalo in advance, & I promise to do a VERY detailed trip report of our 8 days upon our return :)
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 6
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 4 months ago | 2