Seattle hound here. We're taking a family vacation (wife, me and two boys (7 and 4)) to the Big Island next month, staying in a condo at Waikoloa. I've reviewed the various posts on the board and would appreciate updates and guidance on the following possibles, including updated news regarding recent closings:
Fine Dining: The wife and I will probably go out for one or two nice meals sans kids. Merrimans sounds like a "must." We had a great meal at the Maui Merriman's last Aug. I'm also intrigued by the Holuakoa Cafe in Holualoa. Doesn't seem to get a lot of attention on the board but what it gets sounds very good. We've done Hualalai several times and while we have had singularly excellent experiences there, I'm interested in trying some place new. Plus with AW departing and the hotel changing hands, I'm curious if it's still performing up to snuff. Daniel Thiebaut also sounded like a "possible," but reviews were more mixed.
Japanese/Thai: We'll probably get the whole family out (if that's appropriate in these places) as my kids love Asian food. I'm looking at Teshima's or Kenichi for Japanese and Original Thai or Bangkok House.
Casual: In no particular order
- Waikoloa Beach Resort fish and chips stand (does anyone have a name for this one?)
- Manago Hotel (how long is the drive from Waikoloa Village?)
- Hawaiian Style Cafe (just how "Korean" is this place? Candidly, while I love most Asian food, Korean is not my favorite)
- Big Island Grill
- Huli Sue bbq
- Pine Tree Cafe
- Boston Basil's
- Kona Brewery (do they have much that kids would like?)
- Coffee Shack (I'm a little concerned this will be a long way to drive for a cup of Joe)
- Kona Joe's