1. Where are the best restaurants for fresh and well-executed food in/within 20-minutes' drive from Agios Nikolaos? We love fresh seafood. Looking for specific restaurant recommendations that you've tried and found amazing. Not interested in tourist traps. We're a group of 6 traveling from New York City, Napa Valley, and London, so we have a pretty discerning palate. We're not looking for fine dining, just fresh, delicious, well-prepared food.
2. Since we're staying at a self-catered villa, we'll be cooking some meals ourselves. Where are the best markets to pick up fresh produce and staple items? Am I correct in assuming we should purchase fresh produce at the Market (between the hospital and lake) and other staples at supermarkets? Is Spar the best supermarket, or is there another one I should be aware of?
3. What are the must-try local items at the Market besides olive oil? (So excited about the olive oil!!!)
4. I should also mention that we have a very picky chef/food critic in our group from Napa who would rather cook our own food than eat out if the restaurants aren't great. Do you think he'll be disappointed eating out? Or should we plan to just cook most of our meals using the wonderful fresh ingredients from the Market? (Don't worry, regardless of whether he'll be satisfied, we'll be sure to eat out a few times to sample the local flavors.)
5. Is there an amazing "blow-your-mind" restaurant on Crete that you'd be willing to drive 1+ hours from Ag Nik just to eat there?
Thanks in advance for your help! It's our first trip to Crete, and we're very excited!
Updated 7 months ago | 2
Updated 4 months ago | 8
Updated 5 months ago | 11
Updated 1 year ago | 12
Updated 1 year ago | 15