So we're having 6 friends over for dinner in a couple of weeks. 2 of our friends are vegetarian. In the past, I've generally prepared a separate main course for them. However, I'm wondering whether you other 'hounds have found that it's better to just create a fully vegetarian menu for the entire dinner so that everyone is eating the same thing?
Here's what I'm thinking so far for a (mostly) vegetarian menu:
- shrimp sauteed in butter/white wine/garlic/shallots (these are wonderful w/the gougeres)
- ??? (need something vegetarian to complement the gougeres)
- roasted tomato soup garnished w/parmesan crisps
- mixed greens served with a wedge of a puff pastry wrapped brie stuffed with roasted peaches and walnuts
- butternut squash ravioli with rapini and pine nuts in a brown butter sauce
- ??? (do I need to serve something else with the ravioli?)
- bittersweet chocolate mousse
Any suggestions for the gaps? Does this sound like a well-balanced menu in terms of flavors and textures? Will the rapini work well with the ravioli and the brown butter, or should I go with a different sauce?
I would love other ideas for the menu, as well, and am totally open to suggestions -- particularly around the main course.