My thoughts on a local favorite . . . 32 East. We should have much better and more interesting restaurants in the area . . . It's a very average yet constant 'award winner'.
overall the best restaurant on the avenue. the dimly lit bar, mix of jazz + modern classics + constantly updated menu sets it apart from the others. i'm not very interested in the menu for the most part as items are often trendy + contrived, looking good in print but not working well as finished dishes. the bar area is a great place to enjoy a glass of wine or cocktail along with a margharita pizza which is always available. appetizers can be rather small (seared tuna), house made pastas can be very good as well as fresh fish although the presentation is often uninspired. the desserts are really hit + miss. often a unique sorbet or ice cream will be your best best. a door man would be welcome on weekends when the college kids filter in. they should be pushed towards sol kitchen (owned by 32 east). senior hostess can be rude + forgetful. be sure to check back often to let her or the other girls know you are there as they may forget about you. tables in the bar area may be reserved. the owner is there often + is very pleasant + accommodating.
• extremely friendly bar staft (don't forget other customers)
• margharita pizza is always available
• upscale, intimate bar area during the week
• very good dishes, when the ingredients mesh
• servers are a bit robotic at times
• menu item combinations often unsuccessful
• routinely small appetizer portions + weak presentation
• bar staff often too focused on individual customers
• college kids mixing in late night on weekends