Nando's is a chain of bbq Chicken joints in mostly in South and West London, although it is spreading fast to other areas of England. It is Portugeus/South African in origin, I have been an enthusiastic dinner since I first came across them in Earls Court in about 1992/3, I honestly cannot remember precisely. It is my ideal of what fast food could be, and is ideal for solo, group or family and when I go with three kids and the lady of the house in toe it works out at less than twice the cost of feeding us at McDo's and less than Pizza hut, which is a good quality/cost ratio in my book. If your in London keep an eye open, and check them out rather than other more well known brands.
Anyway ten things to like about Nando's.
1. The Chicken, whilst not label Rouge and not now claiming to be free range is always tasty, moist and with a crispy skin ( a good sign in my book ). Never too fatty or flabby, tastes of chicken not fish as other often more expensive places can and do.
2. Piri Piri sauce is a chili based marinade, available from mild to extra hot, very tasty and available in bottles for groups who can't decide. Extra Hot is very servicable ffor a deccent chili 'high'. At one time I was concerned that it was being toned down, but recent experience suggests otherwise.
3. Fries are chunky, hot and great with Piri Piri powder on them. Rice is an alternative.
4. South African and Portugeus beer is the best to wash it all down, the house wine is decent.
5. Soft drinks (Soda) kids get never ending glasses, see how much a 7 year old can drink its amazing. But never let the mix all 5 in one glass, as its self serve.
6. The custard tarts, one is never enough, why are they so small ?
7. I don't like frozen yoghurt, whats the point ? But Nandos do a really chocolatey one which is not bad.
8. Bread rolls for fillets, childrens meals etc are real bread not pap, floury and genuinly tasty.
9. A dish of olives to nibble on before the food arrives includes pickled garlic and lemon, a high point.
10. Last but not least atmosphere, always lively, amaterish service ( in the best sence ), the clientel are usually multi ethnic, relaxed and having a good time, my local branches in Camberwell Green or Brixton are loud and vibrant places to go on a Sunday lunch time. The music is always African, and always low and good.
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 2 years ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 16
Updated 2 days ago | 120