In addition to the main Chowmeet at Above & Beyond, a smaller splinster group of adventurous Chowhounders decided to have a follow-up 'Seafood Chowmeet' at Aberdeen Wholesale Seafood Market.
Again, with the help of Chef Lai, we managed to secure a place and pre-arranged an all seafood 'Omakase' tasting menu.
Wearing casual attire, our group descended on this 'Hole-in-the-Wall' place with plastic table tops, wet floor and barren walls. However, we were not at all deterred because we all felt that what is to come will be an experience that would blow our minds away!! And were we Right!!
The incredible experience that followed was indeed 'Triple A'!!! - Adventurous - Amazing - Awesome!!! Instead of taking photos, I should have taken videos instead to capture the Ooos and Ahhhhs!!
The once-in-a-lifetime menu ( Yes! They will be closing their doors in August! ) consisted of the following delicacy dishes:
- Cold Wild Caught Sea Bream - Chiu Chow Style
- Poached Wild South China Sea Prawns ( Jun Ha )
- Steamed Shell-on Local Jumbo Diver Scallops with Minced Garlic &
- Wild Caught Baby 'Thread Fin' ( aka Ma Yau ) steamed 2 ways
- With premium top soya sauce
- Salt cured overnight and steamed with ginger and oil
- Grilled Live Shelled-on Abalone with Crispy Minced Garlic and
- Steamed 'Local' ( not the common Thai or Malay varietal ) Mentis
Prawns sans Dressing.
- Steamed Local Baby Geoduck Clams on the Shell.
- Seafood and Fish Soup.
- Steamed Duo Flower Crabs with Egg White.
- 'Chinese' French Toast with Condensed Milk
Every one of the above dishes was a winner in its own right!
- The flesh of the salt cured Seabream was prestine fresh and taste of the sea, we ended up eating the whole fish without paying any attention to the dipping sauce.
- The Prawns were crunchy and sweet. Nothing like that from where we were from! Again, we ignored the accompanying dipping sauce.
- The 'Thread Fin' steamed 2 ways gave two different taste sensation and both were good. However, we preferred the salt cured version more since this way of execution highlight the fresh natural taste of the fish more!
- The Mentis prawns ( usually prepared fried with peppered salt ) was a
challenge to eat due to the hard Langoustine like shell. However, the effort and end result was worth it.
- IMO, the Abalone was the OUTRIGHT WINNER of the meal! So unique and flavourful. First time I've eaten Abalone that was 'crispy' on the outside and chewy inside.
- The Geoduck Duck Clams was cooked just perfect! Barely cooked we can taste the sea as well as savour a 'sashimi' like sensation.
- Coming in at a close second was the Seafood and Fish Soup! Sooo creamy and delicious. This must be the best soup I have eaten for a long, long while!!
- Final dish was the super expensive Flower Crabs which we were charged an amazing ' at cost' price. They were as good as any Crab dishes I had in Hong Kong during my past decade visits!!
- Lastly, the dessert of fried mini- French toast cubes were surprisingly good but by that time we were all too STUFFED to really appreciate it!
All in all, a MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE!!! After two days, I still have dreams about it!!
Updated 1 year ago | 13
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 6 months ago | 13