How to Fold Dumplings
Place your wrapper around your filling just so
Pork and Shrimp Pot Stickers recipe to demonstrate the pleating technique. First, take a look at dumpling expert Andrea Nguyen’s tips. Then get started.
Here’s how to fold dumplings:
1. Make sure you have all of the necessary items: measuring spoons, a small bowl of room-temperature water, a baking sheet, plastic wrap, dumpling wrappers, and your pork and shrimp filling.
2. Lay a wrapper on a clean work surface and place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center.
3. Dip your finger in the water and trace around the edge of the wrapper to moisten it.
4. Fold the wrapper in half by bringing the bottom up to the top, then pinch the midpoint to seal it.
5. To the right of the midpoint, and only on the top side of the wrapper, fold one pleat angling back toward the midpoint.
6. Pinch the pleat to seal it.
7. Repeat with a second pleat to the right of your initial pleat.
8. Repeat with a third pleat to the right of your second pleat.
9. Repeat with three pleats to the left of the midpoint.
10. Make sure the pot sticker is completely sealed, then gently push down to form a flat bottom.
11. Place the pot sticker on your baking sheet and cover it with plastic wrap. Repeat with your remaining filling and wrappers. Go to the recipe for the complete cooking instructions.
Chowhounds make dumplings. » See more dumpling recipes.