Don’t Say “Shot of Vodka” at the Airport

A 64-year-old man in Germany nearly died of alcohol poisoning after attempting to down two pints of vodka instead of handing the liquor over to airport security:

New airport rules prohibit passengers from carrying larger quantities of liquid onto planes, and he was told at a security check he would have to either throw out the bottle of vodka or pay a fee to have his carry-on bag checked.

Instead, he chugged the bottle down — and was quickly unable to stand or otherwise function, police said.

A doctor called to the scene determined he had possibly life-threatening alcohol poisoning, and he was sent to a Nuremberg clinic for treatment.

The man, whose name was not released, is expected to be able to go home in a few days.

Writer and blogger Camper English is correct—the obvious question is, “What brand of vodka [was it]?”—but the story also makes me mourn in advance all the dangerous pies, bottles of wine and Champagne, and blenders bound for confiscation as the holidays draw near.

See more articles
Share this article: